Monday, October 4, 2010

"Let Me In" - Review

Vampirism is a curse, not a blessing



















Just got back from seeing "Let Me In" and I was very impressed! I've seen a lot of remakes so I understand how that word is now quite synonymous with "failure" and "disappointing", but this one has broken that trend.

I'll be the first to admit I was against a remake and even planned to boycott after they decided to change the name. But after hearing Chloe Moretz was cast and thinking the trailer didn't look half-bad I withdrew those plans.

It was very loyal to the original, so none of the main storyline was touched/changed. Director Matt Reeves basically took the best elements that made the original so amazing and introduced it in his way, which I thought was quite impressive. All the important scenes/dialogue remain the same, just done differently. What I felt really helped boost the positives of the remake was the superb acting from both Chloe Moretz (seriously, this girl is far too talented for such a young age; I see a very bright future for her if she keeps it up) and Kodi Smit-McPhee. They really won you over easily and did justice to the 2 main roles.

If you've never seen the original, the film is basically a very dark/disturbing yet ultra sweet "vampire romance" between two 12-year old kids, and surprisingly enough it's far more superior in both being a genuine vampire and romance story than the much more popular vampire romance series. It shows why being a vampire is a curse and not fun, sexy, and cool (like others portray, especially the aforementioned popular series); on top of that it doesn't overuse the word "vampire" like others do (in fact, it's only said once). So if you're planning on heading to the theater and are looking for a great vampire film, great in film in general and/or don't know what to see, check this one out, I really don't think you'll be disappointed.

My hat is off to Mr.Reeves, I can tell how much the original means to him by what a fantastic job he did. This is easily on my Top 10 of 2010.

Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment