Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Never Let Me Go" - Review

"We all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through, or feel we've had enough time."
Even though it seriously pains me to admit it, I completely missed this film last year. I did hear the name, but all I knew about it was that Keira Knightley was involved. But I'm glad I finally checked it out on the DVD/Blu-Ray release date (better late than never, right?) and what an amazing, beautiful, powerful, and moving film this is. I haven't felt like crying in a film this much in a long while. It touches on themes of mortality, what having a soul really means, ethics (or lack of, actually), love, what's important in life, and so much more.

The genre is almost impossible to describe since it's part Sci-Fi, part Romance, and part Drama. But the final outcome of this odd recipe was incredible. It really makes you think about the high possiblity of the events in this film happening. And the even higher possiblity of just how disgusting and unethical the human race can be when it comes to things that only benefit them greatly.

The performances from the main cast (Garfield, Mulligan, and Knightley) were very solid and get major praise from yours truly. Keira Knightley has impressed me for a long time now; Carey Mulligan for a little while now (since "An Education") but Andrew Garfield has officially won me over after two top-notch performances in 2010 ("The Social Network" being the other) I highly recommend it this film to everyone. I'm even going to have to revise my "Top 10 Films of 2010" list. It's an absolute shame this was snubbed by the Oscars; so it's now a hidden gem lost in the hype that I hope is found by many.

I award it the highest honor possible...

Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment