Monday, March 21, 2011

"Battle: Los Angeles" - Review

The biggest disappointment of 2011 (thus far)

I hate admitting it, but I was actually very stoked about this film when I first saw the teaser trailer last year. But considering it was brief & without much detail, I now learned that the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" applies to not only things you assume will be bad, but also things you assume will be good; live and learn, I suppose.

My expectations were very high for this film, but all I received was a bunch of military/war film cliches that merely replaced the enemy country with aliens (if you can't name at LEAST 10 major cliches, then you can't call yourself a reliable source of film knowledge). There are also a lot of plot holes, the dialogue was overly cheesy & sometimes laughable, the CGI/visuals weren't impressive in comparison to recent visual achievements, and there are certain happenings that aren't just far-fetched, but unexplained as well (the ocean level lowering in a matter of hours, seriously? at least explain how!). If you want a simple action-packed blockbuster movie, without any depth, character development, deep dialogue, or lingering afterthoughts then you'll love this, if you're the complete opposite, then I'd highly advise to keep away, or at the very least, wait until you can rent it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional "popcorn flick" when I turn off my serious switch, but this film just felt like a first-person shooter video game that I'm not able to play; not fun at all! It was inevitable, but here's my first negative film review.

Score: 1/5


No comments:

Post a Comment