Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Rango" - Review

"No man can walk out on his own story."
I'm usually almost a strict "Pixar" fan when it comes to computer-animated films. "Dreamworks" has been a downhill slope for me after "Shrek 2" (with the exception of "How To Train Your Dragon" which I enjoyed), and the only non-Pixar computer-animated films that I've liked since the first two Shrek films have been "Bolt" and "Tangled" (both directly from Disney). Year after year it seemed like competition, both box office and critical was between the aforementioned studios. But I think they finally have a new competitor in this arena in "Paramount".

This film almost solely caught my attention from the theatrical poster. It looked so different from its competitors that I just had to see it. The trailer nailed that interest completely and it ended up not disappointing me at all.

It was released strictly in beautiful 2-D, and I can't emphasize enough on the "beautiful" because I was in awe almost the entire time from just how pretty this film looked. Many of the times I couldn't even believe this was computer-animated because of how realistic it looked. But this film isn't just an eye-candy treat. The storyline itself is simple but very effective and perfectly executed. The comedy is fresh, smart, and I was surprised at how many times I found myself laughing out loud throughout the entire film. I'm actually surprised this is a PG rated film, but then I remember that kids won't understand most, if not, all of the innuendo and satire this film presents.

It actually reminded me a lot of what "Shrek" did in 2001 by providing a family film with the perfect ingredients to please both adults and kids alike. So don't feel "forced" by your kids or younger family member to see this film, because I guarantee you will enjoy it as well. It currently has my trophy for best film of 2011 so far; but I don't see ANY other animated feature dethroning it of best animated film of the year. I highly recommend this funny, lovable, and memorable film.

Score: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment